Workers Compensation Insurance provides you with cover for any workers who are injured or become ill because of their work.
In Victoria, workplace health and safety is governed by a system of laws, regulations and compliance codes which set out the responsibilities of employers and workers to ensure that safety is maintained at work.
Do I need Workers Compensation Insurance?
If you expect to pay more than $7,500 a financial year in rateable remuneration, or if you have any apprentices or trainees, you must take out Workers Compensation Insurance. This applies even if you are a small company with only one worker.
The policy may cover:
- Replacement of lost income
- Medical and rehabilitation treatment costs
- Legal costs
- Lump sum compensation in the event of a serious injury
Employer Rights & Responsibilities
As an employer you must provide a safe and healthy workplace for your workers and contractors. This includes:
- Providing and maintaining safe plant (such as machinery and equipment) and safe systems of work (such as controlling entry to high risk areas, controlling work pace and frequency and providing systems to prevent falls from heights)
- Implementing arrangements for the safe use, handling, storage and transport of chemicals (such as dangerous goods and other harmful materials)
- Maintaining the workplace in a safe condition (such as ensuring fire exits are not blocked, emergency equipment is serviceable, and the worksite is generally tidy)
- Providing workers and contractors with adequate facilities (such as clean toilets, cool and clean drinking water, and hygienic eating areas)
- Making sure workers have adequate information, instruction, training and supervision to work in a safe and healthy manner.
With different legislative requirements in every State of Australia, here at Austbrokers Countrywide we can guide you through your obligations.
Find out what Austbrokers Countrywide can do for you.
For an obligation free insurance review, talk with one of our specialist brokers today to find out more.
Toll free: 1800 245 123
P: (03) 9835 1300
F: (03) 9763 5932
Level 2, 35 Dalmore Drive
Scoresby VIC 3179